Most TAFE teachers, trainers and assessors working for an RTO learnt about designing competency-based training when they studied for their Certificate IV in Training and Assessment qualification . But designing a competency-based training program for real is often very different to learning about it at a TAE training course.
On Target Work Skills is delivering a training webinar that provides a simple and practical approach to designing competency-based training. The aim is to improve capability for new and experienced VET practitioners.
The training objectives are:
- Identify compliance requirements relating to the design of competency-based training
- Describe a 7-step process for designing competency-based training
- Estimate total training duration
- Develop a draft training agenda
- Check that the entire unit of competency is covered
- List the 6 essential elements of a training program plan.
Key content points
The key content for this training are:
- Compliance requirements (as per the Standards for RTOs 2015)
- Definition of competency
- Units of Competency and Assessment Requirements
- Instructional design theory
- Robert Gagné’s 9-events of instruction
- David Merrill’s first principles of instruction
- Malcolm Knowles’ assumptions about adult learners
- 7-step process for designing competency-based training
- Modes of delivery
- AQF volume of learning and nominal hours
- Chucking and sequencing
- Training session structure
- Introductions and conclusions
- Structure of a knowledge training session
- Structure of a skill or task-based training session
- Summaries, self-reflection and breaks
- Active learning and the importance of learn by doing
- 6 essential elements of a training program plan.
3 hours (with two short breaks provided during the training session)
The next training dates are:
Tuesday 7th of June 2022, starting at 9:00am (Australian Eastern Standard Time)
Thursday 9th of June 2022, starting at 1:00pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time)
You can attend from your workplace or home because the training webinar will be delivered via Zoom. The connection to Zoom is quick, and using Zoom is easy. Instructions about joining Zoom will be provided when your training enrolment is confirmed.
The training fee is $285.
Additional consulting to your organisation about improving the design of competency-based training is available, but this would incur an additional cost.
You may also be interested in other training webinars delivered by On Target Work Skills:
Enrolment is essential.
Please call Alan Maguire on 0493 065 396 to reserve your place.
Training trainers since 1986
One thought on “‘How to design competency-based training’ webinar”