The TAE40122 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment qualification was released on the 8th of December 2022. There are six core units of competency:
- TAEASS412 Assess competence
- TAEASS413 Participate in assessment validation
- TAEDEL411 Facilitate vocational training
- TAEDES411 Use nationally recognised training products to meet vocational training needs
- TAEDES412 Design and develop plans for vocational training
- TAEPDD401 Work effectively in the VET sector.
The above list is in alphabetical order for the unit codes.
About this article
This article focuses on the TAEASS412 Assess competence unit of competency.
This unit has six elements:
- Plan and prepare to conduct assessment
- Customise assessment process
- Prepare candidate
- Collect evidence
- Make assessment judgement
- Review assessment practice.
Assessment requirements for the TAEASS412 unit
An assessment task will be required to gather the specified Knowledge Evidence. A TAE Student must demonstrate they have the following knowledge:
- VET regulatory requirements relating to assessing competence
- Assessment system policies and procedure
- Competency-based assessment
- Key content of training and assessment strategies related to assessing competence
- Structure, content and application of units of competency relevant to assessing competence
- Difference between assessment tools and assessment instruments
- Key contents of assessment tools
- Assessment purposes and contexts
- Types of evidence
- Assessment methods
- Nature and scope of reasonable in assessment, when it applies and how to check and maintain the rigor of the assessment process
- How the principles of assessment and rules of evidence guide the assessment process
- Practices and methods that promote safe and inclusive assessment environments
- Cultural sensitivity and equity and wellness considerations in assessment
- WHS responsibilities relating to assessing competence.
The volume of performance evidence will require the TAE Student to assess 5 different candidates against one unit of competency.
An RTO that plans to deliver the TAEASS412 Assess competence unit of competency will need to provide the TAE Student with the following:
- RTO policies and procedure relating to assessing competence (TAEASS412 Performance Criteria 1.1)
- Training and Assessment Strategy (TAS) that includes the unit of competency being assessed by the TAE Student (TAEASS412 Performance Criteria 1.2)
- Assessment tool for the unit of competency being assessed by the TAE Student (TAEASS412 Performance Criteria 1.4) – and this assessment tool must be current and validated.
Do you need help with your TAE studies?
Are you a doing the TAE40116 or TAE40122 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, and are you struggling with your studies? Do you want help with your TAE40116 or TAE40122 studies?
Ring Alan Maguire on 0493 065 396 to discuss.
Training trainers since 1986
8 thoughts on “TAEASS412 Assess competence”